BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into the area around the side of the eyes to improve the look of moderate to severe crow’s feet lines in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
For over 20 years, Botox® has safely and effectively treated millions of people by eliminating unsightly wrinkles, folds and sagging skin caused by aging and overexposure to ultraviolet radiation. The Naked Face Medspa offers Botox® injections that painlessly smoothes away crow’s feet, wrinkles between the eyebrows, forehead creasing, fine lines around the mouth (smoker’s lines), folds along the sides of the nose (bunny lines) and neck skin that has lost youthful firmness.
10 Essential Facts about Botox®
- Between 2002 and 2012, approximately 12 million Botox® treatments have been administered to men and women for cosmetic purposes.
- According to an ASERF (Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation) survey conducted in 2005, 280 out of 303 patients were extremely satisfied with results obtained by Botox injection.
- Although Botox® incorporates the Clostridium botulinum bacterium as one of its ingredients, this same toxin responsible for botulism is actually beneficial for treating a variety of medical issues when provided in smaller doses. In fact, many people do not know that Botox® is also given to people suffering from cervical dystonia, strabismus (crossed eyes), hyperhydrosis (excessive perspiration), overactive bladder and an odd condition called blepharospasm, which causes uncontrollable blinking.
- Botox® CANNOT give you food poisoning.
- Skin rejuvenating results from Botox® injections may last up to nine months. To maintain fresh, smooth, wrinkle-free skin, most patients need to have additional injections every five to six months.
- There is no recovery time with Botox® treatments. You will begin to notice less wrinkling of your skin within two to three days following the procedure.
- Side effects are minimal, with the most common being slight swelling, bruising or redness around the injection site. Intensity of these side effects depend on where the injection is given.
- Botox® was originally approved by the FDA to remove wrinkles in the glabella area, or the space between the brows. However, it proved so highly effective at eliminating deep wrinkles, doctors began using it to remove other facial wrinkles.
- Botox® treatment sessions generally last between 10 minutes to one hour, depending on how many injections are desired.
- Patients do not have to prepare in any way on the day a Botox injection is scheduled. Just come to The Naked Face Medspa, visit with the Jannelle and be on your way in no time.
How Does Botox® Work?
By preventing the release of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, Botox® actually paralyzes or weakens muscle contractions responsible for facial and neck wrinkling. One of the most important neurotransmitters in the body, acetylcholine (ACh) acts like s a chemical messenger that stimulates muscle cell and facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. ACh is also necessary for optimal bladder, stomach and heart functioning because of its ability to send signals from motor nerves to muscles.
By relaxing muscles and inhibiting muscle contractions, Botox® effectively prevents the appearance of wrinkles and gives the face and neck a smoother, younger appearance. In addition, Botox® also keeps new wrinkles from forming by greatly reducing muscle pull on the skin. When skin stays smoother and wrinkle-free over time with regular Botox® injections, patients find that the skin remains softer and more hydrated as well.
Botox Injections for Neck Enhancement
Due to aging and/or excessive exposure to UV rays, the skin on the neck may develop wrinkles and an unattractive condition called “neck banding”. On the front of the neck are two “platysmal” muscles that tend to sag and jut as we get older, especially in women. The appearance of this “turkey neck” can add years to your true age because it also encourages the skin directly under the chin to droop and wrinkle. Fortunately, Botox injections can dramatically improve the weakness of neck’s medial bands by preventing ACh release and paralyzing the muscles’ ability to contract. This procedure also eliminates those fine horizontal neck lines that further age your appearance.
Brow and forehead lifts using Botox can minimize frown lines and creases lining the forehead as well as elevate the eyebrows to give you a more youthful, alert appearance. As an affordable and pain-free alternative to actual cosmetic surgery, brow lifts are especially effective at raising droopy eyelids and relaxing muscles controlling the eyebrows so that your former, sagging brow arch is higher. Women undergoing Botox brow lifts often find that it is easier to achieve the perfect-shaped eyebrow arch as a result of Botox injections smoothing and rejuvenating skin.
Alternative Benefits of Botox
Patients receiving Botox injections for cosmetic purposes may also experience health benefits related to existing medical conditions. For example, Botox has been found to relieve the severity and frequency of migraine headaches by blocking nerve impulses that cause muscles to twitch and contract during a migraine attack. Other health benefits patients may experience following a Botox treatment session include decrease in muscle spasms affecting various parts of the body, relief from jaw tension or TMJ pain and reduced arthritis symptoms. In addition, men who have enlarged prostates may notice less swelling in that area after an injection.Psychologically, Botox treatments can work miracles with a patient’s self-esteem by restoring confidence and a sense of personal satisfaction about his or her appearance. Interestingly, a number of research studies examining the way we respond to smoother, younger-looking and less wrinkled faces has found that people receiving Botox treatments are frequently the recipients of more positive interactions with others simply because people perceive faces that do not appear to be frowning all the time (due to wrinkled and sagging skin) as more approachable and self-assured.
Our considerate and helpful staff and practitioners at The Naked Face Medspa are always available to answer any questions you may have concerning Botox injections. If you are interested in eliminating facial wrinkles, fine lines, folds or unsightly neck banding, call us to arrange for a consultation where the procedure and your expectations will be discussed with you in detail.